Castle of Neerijse

V E R K O O P - V E N T E - S A L E S

home - from old to new - plans - sales documents - history - contact - photo album

 

Origin of the Castle of Overschie

The Castle has its roots in the 'Goed ter Ijse". This domain was bought in 1735 by baron Charles-Joseph d'Overschie, descendant of an ancient aristocratic Dutch brewery family. He used the small moated castle as a hunting pavilion. His son Jean-Albert d'Overschie inherits the estate in 1744. He remodels and enlarges the castle and commissioned a beautiful park. The descendents of Baron Jean-Albert would govern the village Neerijse for more than a century. In 1982 the castle and the family possessions were inherited by the great-granddaughter Anne d'Overschie who married Count Auguste de Bethune Hesdigneul. Their son rented the castle to a religious sister congregation who started an orphanage. In 1935 he sold it to Baron Goffinet who in his turn leased the castle to an organization who used it as a clinic. The castle was sold in 1983 and remodelled into a hotel-restaurant. In 2003 NV Barones bought the castle and it has been renovated since into luxurious apartments.

home - from old to new - plans - sales documents - history - contact - photo album
Webmaster: Kim Suykens